Every child and young person has rights, no matter who they are or where they live. Nearly every government in the world has promised to protect, respect and fulfill these rights, yet they are still violated in South Africa.
Democracy in South Africa came with a growing recognition of children’s rights and the establishment of high-level structures to meet government’s responsibilities. Section 28 of the Bill of Rights in our Constitution states that “every child has the right to basic nutrition, shelter, health care and social services, as well as the right to be protected from maltreatment, neglect, abuse or degradation”. One of the reasons for not achieving these rights, is inadequate resources to fully implement laws such as the Children’s Act, Child Justice Act and Sexual Offences Act.
What is Save the Children South Africa doing?
We are assisting Government in strengthening child-rights systems and mechanisms
- We are advocating for an authority to defend children’s rights and support planning for, and monitoring of, children’s rights in South Africa.
- We are working with government in the development of effective participation of children in the design, execution and monitoring of initiatives that affect them.
Find out about the 2030 agenda for children.
We are assisting civil society to promote and defend children’s rights
- We are championing children’s rights across many sectors and building support to promote them.
- We are facilitating and supporting child rights education.
- We are empowering children to participate effectively in governance and influence policies at all levels.
- We are helping private sector and trade unions to respect and support children’s rights in the workplace, marketplace, community and the environment.
- We are studying the impact of South African business on children’s rights and using the findings to raise awareness.
All children should benefit from a strengthened child-rights system that delivers and monitors the realisation of their rights. Help us fight for their rights by donating TODAY!